Monday, February 20, 2017

Overnight Trip to the Chocolate City

After the let down of the recent presidential election, this weekend was definitely needed.  I let my brother take the helm and make plans this go round.

I got an early start the night before and picked up my son from college.  It would have been way too much time on the road in one day if I had waited to get him on Friday.

We had tickets to a Washington Wizards game who were playing my favorite players team; the Cleveland Cavaliers. Yes-your girl is a die hard Lebron James fan.  The Wizards gave them a run for their money.  I came away with a new found admiration for John Wall; he is definitely one to watch.  I'm not the biggest basketball fan, but I like to watch a good game or two.

We grabbed a quick dinner before the game at Fuddruckers. Never visited one when they were here in Richmond and I always hear great things about them so why not. We were tight on time and I love a good burger. I totally would give up beef if I didn't crave a bun, burger and cheese every now and then.  Quick and decent. Such a beautiful city to wander.

After the game we caught an Uber back to our hotel since we had walked the few blocks to the arena.  Grabbed some desserts from the adjoining restaurant and got some much needed rest.  

Because I'm not a morning person, my plan to get up early to stand in line to catch a glimpse of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History & Culture failed big time. We got there and the line was unbelievable. I was so happy to see so many people stand there waiting to see all the great things my people have contributed to the world..not just the United States.  Such a proud moment even though I only got to see the outside.  

We eventually started checking out the sites such as the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial statue and Veterans Memorial.  



The weather was a little chilly, but sunny enough for sight seeing.

1 comment: