Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Has text messaging ruined our generation's ability to effectively communicate?

What do you do when you text someone and they don't respond back for hours?  How about those texts that just seem to get lost and you don't even get a response?

I have to admit that I am guilty of both.  Most of the time its non-intentional.

Do you think its rude?  I kinda do, especially if its an open-ended question.  But on the other hand, with so much going on in a day, its understandable to forget to reply.

Or are you one of those people that don't really prefer to text so if that person wants a response from you they will just have to pick up the phone and call..old school style?

I have a really bad habit of texting because something may pop into my head at a time when I am unable to hold a real-live conversation.  I honestly prefer phone calls. They are so much more personal and cuts out any confusion.  And it feels awesome to hear a human voice after emailing and instant messaging most of the work day.  I am trying to understand what makes communicating with co-workers, friends and family so complicated these days.

Texting allows tone, intention and urgency to be misconstrued.  If its super important, I guess you better pick up that phone or else you will be waiting for it.

I have developed a pet peeve for text talking or rather using teen text lingo.  I get irritated when I see an adult constantly using teen text lingo on social networking sites.  I can understand a time or two when you are being sarcastic etc.  But what is going to happen to the English language after all this?  Will the youth even know how to spell real words? Will the adults forget and start spelling and talking like teenagers?









No comments:

Post a Comment